Re: amd .vs intel....

On Thursday 08 December 2005 22:34, Gilboa Davara wrote:
> Eeeek! Not Tomshardware.
> In my experience, his views always seemed to follow how-ever advertises
> the most on this site. (Which is usually Intel)
>
> Entry level computing:
> http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2395
> http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/sempron-3400.html
> http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/sempron-3000.html
>
> Mid level:
> http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2353
> http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/pentiumd-820.html
>
> Performance level:
> http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2429
> http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2456
> http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/athlon64-fx57.html
> http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/28cpu-games.html
>
> Dual core & servers:
> Latest: http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-10442_7-6389077-1.html?tag=lnav
> Linux: http://www.anandtech.com/linux/showdoc.aspx?i=2463
> http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2410
> http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2397
> http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/athlon64-x2-3800.html
> http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/opteron-ws.html
>

> Let me start off by saying, I'm an AMD man. However, I've got enough
> experience with the P4/P4 Xeon (including the machine I'm typing this
> message on) to be considered objective.
>
> In the end, I'd say:
>
> Entry level:
> Rather even field. The Sempron64 is faster the Celleron D, but at least
> currently, the Celleron is a bit cheaper.
> Oh. AMD's 64bit performance is better.
>
> Mid level:
> AMD has (much) better performance; Intel has (at times) lower price.
> (See a pattern emerging?)
>
> Performance level:
> AMD. Period.
>
> Dual core:
> The Athlon64 x2 and the Opteron x6x/x7x/x8x are (much) faster then their
> P4D and XeonD counter-parts. If you want the best performance, go AMD,
> period.
> *However*, while much slower, the P4 820D which starts at around 240$ is
> a very interesting deal if you looking to go SMP for cheap. (The closest
> AMD, the 3800 X2 starts at around 320$)
>
> As I said, I'm an AMD user. However, if I had to get Intel, I'd get the
> 820D or go rock-bottom-cheap and get a Celleron.

I first discovered TomsHardware site in the early 90's. It used to be an
in-your-face place that challenged the manufacturers and regularly challenged
their claims. Then, success struck. Tom figured out there was money to be
made. It pretty much reads like a more elaborate version of PCMag or any of
those other 'review' magazines these days, and my visits have become fewer
and fewer.

I'd say your analysis is pretty spot-on on the thread subject - people will
quibble on details, but your conclusions reflect my own experience. That's a
nice compendium of links...

--
Claude Jones
Bluemont, VA, USA