Re: Bluetooth mouse

On Thursday 08 December 2005 04:58, Klaasjan Brand wrote:
>On 12/8/05, Gene Heskett <gene.heskett@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> On Wednesday 07 December 2005 17:48, Rick Lim wrote:
>> >Anyone using a Bluetooth mouse with linux?
>> >Or any other Bluetooth device?
>>
>> I believe the mouse I'm current using, a microsoft gizmo, is a bluetooth
>> device.  Its receiver feeds a usb port and the os accepts it 100%
>> transparently.
>>
>> Its a "Wireless Explorer 2.0" model 1007 FWTW.
>>
>> Works great, needs fresh batteries here at about 4-6 month intervals, so
>> it won't break the bank for batteries either.
>
>If it works transparantly and batteries last >4 months it almost certainly
>isn't a bluetooth mouse. The bluetooth receivers need the bluetooth service
>running and need to be paired with the mouse. Afaik, Fedora doesn't support
>this out of the box, but it's possible to set up.

I'd be willing to bet that the bluetooth to usb is handled in the receiver pod
that goes with it.  It plugs into a usb port, and is about the size of a
mouse.  So as far as linux is concerned, its just another usb mouse.

There are buttons on both devices that have to be pressed in sequence after a
battery change in order for the mouse to resume talking to the receiver, so
that may be the configuration you allude to.  The mouse itself does put
itself to sleep if ignored for long periods and it takes a couple of motions
or a button push to 'wake it up' then.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)