Re: yum "what you can" option? w/ done

Dave Jones wrote:

On Wed, Dec 07, 2005 at 03:42:55PM -0700, Paul Lemmons wrote:
> I may be just missing it but is there an option with yum that will let
> it install everything that does not fail a dependency test? For example,
> if I do a "yum -y update" and there are 100 things that it sees to
> update and one of the items can not install because there is an
> unresolved dependency, the other 99 that could have been updated do not
> get updated. I would like to be able to get the 99 on and then work out
> the problem with the 1 later.

This has come up in the past. The last time I suggested it, Seth had
objections.  So I've been using this in the meantime..

yum list updates | awk '{ print $1 }' > .packages
for i in `cat .packages`;
do
       yum -y update $i
done
rm -f .packages

		Dave

I also had no luck with Seth regarding the suggestion to have yum
install rpms where no conflict exists. Someone posted this script that I
copied and used with success. (similar in function, different method)
#!/bin/sh
for i in `yum list updates |cut -f 1 -d " " |grep -A 500 -e Updated |\
grep -v -e Updates` ; do
       echo "Updating $i"
       yum -y update $i
done

(OOPS added done)

Both scripts work similar. Now to get yum to pull in what it can deal
with, then report which packages need tended to, for those to install.

Now I have two scripts.
Thanks,
Jim