Re: Sound from two machines to one set of speakers.

From: "Chris Stark" <cstark@xxxxxxxxxx>

From: "Reg Clemens" <reg@xxxxxxx>
> > I have 4 machines on a KVM.
> Two of them can generate useful sound.
> Other than two sets of speakers, is there any way to get the sound from
> both machines out thru one set of speakers?
> > Im questioning if there is any sort of client/server pair to route the
> sound data from one machine to the other...

If you care how it sounds use a real mixer panel. If you do not care
how it sounds you may be able to brute force connect the two outputs
together in a Y connector in front of your amplifier, which is probably
within the speakers if they are "powered".

It sounds like you already have your KVM, but if you would rather not
invest in a mixer, you may want to consider getting a KVM with audio.
They seem pretty common these days.

Chris, I far prefer the mixer I use. As it happens I abuse procmail
heavily here. I've built in some tests for email from my chief customers.
I have procmail "clone" the email message to a "play" command to play
a unique sound for receptions of their email. I want to get that alert
even if I am working on other machines than the email machine. So the
mixer is the only proper way I can put it all together.

(Actually I use a pair of "ROLLS" 10 stereo input/stereo output mixers
in a crazy lashup. I want SOME signals to be mixed in after I go to
the speakers. Otherwise the feedback potential makes the system
unworkable. The mixers cost rather little compared to their benefit
here.)

{^_-}   Joanne