Re: Question of retrieving data from a mirrored drive.

Les Mikesell wrote:
On Mon, 2005-12-05 at 17:02, Michael Duffy wrote:
In the Redhat 4 'message' log, I see that it recognised the drive as a
mirror and went looking for it's other half.

The only time it should do this is when you reboot the machine.

Correct, this only happened during a reboot.

Finding the other half or not should have no effect on mounting,
which it won't do automatically in either case.

I agree, it should not.

If it was really RAID1 you should be able to mount the hdcn partions
directly.  If the kernel detected the md devices at bootup you
may also be able to mount them as 'broken' mirrors which also work
fine.  A 'cat /proc/mdstat' should show the detected md devices.
What command are you using to mount and how does it fail?

I am not at the machine at the moment, but I will give it a whirl when I get home.

The command that I used was: mount -t ext2 /dev/hdc# /mnt2

Where # = 1, 2, 3, or 4

I don't remember the *exact* error message. I'd have to get back to you on that one. Sorry. This is the problem with not having it at hand when I ask the question.

How does one mount a 'broken' mirror?

Thanks!

Michael