Re: kernel panic

Gerhard Magnus writes:

The kernel may not be able to boot for a variety of reasons. Post the preceding error messages in order to identify the reason for the failure.

I'm assuming that messages during booting are saved somewhere.  What is

Not at this early stage in the boot process. The kernel hasn't even mounted the hard drive, yet, so there's no place to log anything.

the name of the file?  Is there a tool for accessing the most important
system logs?

There are two traditional ways to save boot messages.

One, is to connect the serial port to another machine's using a null-modem plug. Then, when booting, add "console=ttyS0,9600 console=tty0" arguments to the kernel, via grub. This sends the boot messages over the serial port, where they can be logged on the other machine. I've done it before, it's a pain but it does work.

Two, is the old-fashioned way, to take a picture of the screen with a camera. This only works if the error message doesn't scroll off the screen.