Re: Printing

On Sat, Dec 03, 2005 at 07:48:02PM -0500, CodeHeads wrote:
> CodeHeads wrote:
> >akonstam@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> >>This is complicated for several reasons. Print sharing never really
> >>worked on FC2 as it does on FC4.
> >>
> >>Now the correct way (read the easiest way) to print through a server
> >>from a client in FC4 is to define the printer on the FC4 server using
> >>the CUPS web interface (localhost:631).
> >>Then on the client do not define it as a cups printer at all but in
> >>the file: /etc/cups/client.conf
> >>Change the line:
> >>ServerName myhost.domain.com
> >>to point at your print server.
> >>
> >>In FC4 that is all you need to do to  print to the printer from the
> >>client
> >>through the server, If the printer is defined in any way on the client
> >>remove the definition. But be careful. Remove the definition of the
> >>printer before you change the client.conf file because a definition of
> >>the printer will appear on the client transferred from the server once
> >>you have altered the client.conf file. Actually it may take 30
> >>seconds to appear.
> >>
> >>This is how it works under FC4. I have never tried this on an FC2
> >>machine but it is worth a try.
> >>
> >>If that does not work we can answer you original question once you
> >>clear up where are you trying to set these addresses because none of
> >>them look to useful to me. lp0 should certainly never appear network
> >>printer definition.
> >>
> >>-------------------------------------------
> >>Aaron Konstam
> >>Computer Science
> >>Trinity University
> >>telephone: (210)-999-7484
> >>

> >OK, this is getting frustrating!!  Here is a screen shot of what I
> >really need.  What is the correct way to enter the info? I have tried
> >several ways. The URI for the USB printer is usb:/dev/usb/lp0 the server
> >is srv (FC4).  What is the sentax! (sp).  This screen shot is on the FC2
> >machine. http://code-heads.com/printer.jpg
> >
> >Thanks
> >~WILL~
> >
> Man I guess I am frustrated here is the right URL
> http://code-heads.com/print.jpg

Well I have a frustration also. In your original note you never
mentioned that the HP printer in not a network printer relative to
your server, but is actually a local printer on the server. That makes
a difference.

Second, did you try what I suggested you do. That is not define the
printer on your client, but just to identify the server in the
client.conf file. The screen shot implies you are trying to define the
the printer explicitly on the client.

Third, I told you to define a CUPS printer using printconf, when I
suggested using the CUPS web interface. I hate to be mean about this
but printconf does not work well with real CUPS printer definitions.

Please try to do what I told you should work. If it doesn't then we
could go further. But on the client as I said before no address using
lp0 should be used.

I am the wandering glitch -- catch me if you can.
Aaron Konstam
Computer Science
Trinity University
telephone: (210)-999-7484