Re: Yum update the latest Fedora 4 Kernel

On Sun December 4 2005 12:55 am, Min Chen wrote:
> Yes, the newer kernel 2.6.14 is taken after reboot.  Is yum only available
> when connecting to internet?  I run "yum list kernel*" without internet
> connection and got "Cannot find a valid baseurl for repo: livna" (I did yum
> clean all before it)

Yum is a program for maintaining/updating your computer. It does that by
connecting to computers on the internet that are repositories for software
for your distribution. It caches a copy of each program it downloads and
installs, and it keeps a running database of what's installed on your
computer, and what's available in the internet repositories. Yum clean all is
a command that erases all those programs you already downloaded, and erases
the database of programs available in the internet repositories. "yum list
kernel" is a command to list both what's installed on your computer, and
what's available on the internet - your list command failed because it
couldn't perform the second part of the two part command.

--
Claude Jones
Bluemont, VA, USA