Re: (Re-)enabling up2date

On Sat, 2005-12-03 at 11:40 -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Saturday 03 December 2005 08:58, Timothe Litt wrote:
> >In a fit of stupidity, I managed to get up2date
> >unsubscribed from its "channel".  (I am unable
> >to reconstruct exactly how I got here; it involved
> >thinking that getting a Red Hat Network managemente
> >account was a good idea; then discovering that
> >getting it to do anything was a for-fee service.)
>
> Correct.  But a bigger problem is that A, its been deprecated, and B,
> its for Redhat Enterprise commercial Versions of linux, the commercial,
> costs more than windows, release.  So it isn't going to work with
> fedora, ever.
>
> Fedora uses a utility called yum, which stands for Yellowdog Updater,
> Modified.  It will do everything the up2date did, faster & better, but
> using the fedora repositories you set up in /etc/yum/.  The install
> gives you a default that setup for your distro FC3, and that should
> continue to Just Work(TM) until FC3 has been moved to the legacy status.
----
huh?

# up2date -u
http://fedora.redhat.com/download/up2date-mirrors/fedora-core-3
using mirror: http://mirror.web-ster.com/fedora/core/3/i386/os/
http://fedora.redhat.com/download/up2date-mirrors/updates-released-fc3
using mirror: http://ftp.uni-
bayreuth.de/linux/fedora/linux/core/updates/3/i386

Fetching Obsoletes list for channel: fedora-core-3...

Fetching Obsoletes list for channel: updates-released-fc3...

Fetching rpm headers...

Name                                    Version        Rel

All packages are currently up to date

up2date works. I think that there's issues with the applet.

Craig