Re: Suppressing Real Player on RPM downloads

On Fri, 2005-12-02 at 13:48 -0700, Robin Laing wrote:

> The server tells the browser the type of application to use and I
> think that the browser can be configured to override this to some
> degree but I have never succeeded.

To be pedantic, that's not correct.  The server identifies what type of
data it's sending, and the client is (locally) configured to use the
appropriate application for that data.

e.g. For the stupidity of serving out an MS-Word document, the MIME type
would inform the client that it's getting a MS-Word document, and the
client would use the default/preferred application to open it.  Which
may be MS-Word on Windows, Open Office on Linux, or something else.

It'd be pointless trying to tell Fedora to use the MS-Word application.
That's why MIME typing works the way that it does.

I read messages from the public lists.