Re: basic operations

Windows give freedom to install new programs any where, including default. In a way this flexibility is good if one nears full capacity of the partition. Under Win, almost all programmes can be relocated some way after install or by re-installation. Under Linux rigid rule "not relocatable" is prevalent. Under Linux some programmes will go to users home directory! I have realplay lying there.
But at the end of day Linux is liked for the challenge it poses to manage and Windows for daily survival.
Hey - that's unfair!

On 12/3/05, Mike McCarty <mike.mccarty@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Phet Whore Meyer wrote:
> To whom it may concern,
>
> Ive recently left the dark and moved into linux, i just have this one
> query for now:
> In windows all programs were installed into a folder called 'Program
> Files', in linux, where is that equivelant folder? What is it called?
>
> I know that this question is fairly trivial, is there anywhere else i
> can go to find out basic information such as this?

http://www.pathname.com/fhs/

This is a proposed Standard for the file system hierarchy on UNIX
like OSs. It contains a rationale for where to put things.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.