Re: theoretical question - can root's username be changed?

On Fri, 2005-02-12 at 09:01 -0600, akonstam@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> > The privileges are given to UID 0, but many things depend on the name as
> > well so it becomes very difficult to remove the username.
> >
> I had this reaction also, But in thinking about it I had a hard time
> coming up with any facility in Fedora that depend on the name root.
> Could you give an example?
> --

> Time will end all my troubles, but I don't always approve of Time's methods.
> Aaron Konstam
> Computer Science
> Trinity University
> telephone: (210)-999-7484

Many rpm package scripts as well as just in /etc/* and /etc/*/* :

crontab
logrotate.conf
quotagrpadmins
rc.sysinit
hotplug/dasd.agent
init.d/mailman
init.d/named
init.d/xfs
logrotate.d/ppp
logrotate.d/psacct
logrotate.d/yum
mail/sendmail.cf
makedev.d/00macros
postfix/postfix-files
rc*.d/[KS]*xfs
rc*.d/[KS]*mailman
rc*.d/[KS]*named
rc.d/rc.sysinit
samba/smbusers
security/console.perms
udev/udev.conf
xinetd.d/*

Many config files send mail to "root" which can be handled with
a simple alias.