Re: Installation Question

On Fri, 2005-12-02 at 16:33 +0200, Ali Helmy wrote:

> Thanks alot for your reply, but I just wanted to ask a small question
> about one thing, in the end you said "You will, of course, need some
> unformatted space or an unused partition on the hard drive into which
> you can install Fedora. Free space in C:\ won't do."
>
> What does that mean? do you mean I HAVE to create a new partition?

Yes.  And if your free space on that drive is already used for your
Windows C: partition, you're going to need to shrink it to leave some
unpartitioned space for Linux to use.

Linux and Windows use different file systems, they can't share the same
partition (without even more mucking around than repartitioning
involves).

Defrag the drive, this will clump all the files on the drive together.
Hopefully at the start of the drive so you can shrink the partition over
unused space on the drive.  Look for a tutorial on shrinking partitions
on the net.  It's far more detailed than I'd like to explain in and
e-mail.

I read messages from the public lists.