Re: ]OT] http-authorization:

On Fri, 2005-12-02 at 07:57 -0600, Les Mikesell wrote:

> The slowness depends on how your cgi executes.  If it is a perl
> script loading perl on every hit it will be slower.  If you
> use php, mod_perl, fastcgi, speedycgi, java, etc. where the
> interpreter is loaded once for many hits you won't really see
> a speed difference.

As well as how well you write your program...  It does seem however,
that nearly every dynamically generated site that I've come across
behaves like it's on a 16 MHz 486.

> As far as caching goes, it shouldn't make any difference.

Many things will not cache URIs with parameters.

e.g. <http://example.com/cgi?some+parameters>

In the belief that they might be caching something that they really
shouldn't.

> Anything with basic authentication set should not be cached anyway
> except by the local browser.

That actually was my main concern (no local caching).  Time and time
again I've used incredibly slow HTTPS sites where nothing is cacheable.
I can't back track (nothing loads, or the server throws a wobbly).  I
can only navigate via the links on the page.  Tough luck if the idiot
webmaster made it impossible to go back to where you need to go.

I read messages from the public lists.