Problem booting after Yum update of FC4

Status
I was Running FC3 on a PC platform ( 64 bit Intel P4 Prescott 630 in Foxconn
mother board). When I tried to upgrade the FC with rpm I had trouble with my
network timing out.
Disc is a SATA drive
Root file system is LVM

I decided to upgrade to FC4. I did a clean install and formatted the disc
space.
I turned on Samba and few other minor configuration updates. (reinstalled my
user directory to get my email back)
I did run find from root without any failures.

I tried to update with RPM but the network timed out. I  am having the same
network time outs on my wife's Mac and a new wintel XP laptop.

I switched to Yum and the update proceeded smoothly but took 3 hours.

Here is where the problems start.
I was searching for HelixPlayer to see if it was on the system.
Find returned an error
	" incorrect hard link count in /proc usually a disc driver problem"
I decided to reboot to see if the disc would run FSCK.
The boot process hung at the same place 2
	starting network loopback

I stopped the boot the next time and reverted to the old kernel believing
that the disc drivers are in the kernel. (June FC4 install discs )
This worked and the system boots. Appears to be fully functional.
I tried a "find" and got the same file system error in /proc directory.

So I thought I would check if this is a known problem.

I assume next steps would be to run FSCK on root disc. ( I do not have
experience with LVM and FSCK)

I would like any advice on trouble shooting which update is causing the
problems.
I wanted the FC4-64bit see if there was a performance difference.
I can go back and reinstall FC and manage the Yum update more tightly.

Tony Foster

Cell  916 300 7701
Tony_Foster@xxxxxxxxxxxx

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is virtually indistinguishable from
magic."
(Arthur C. Clarke)