Re: graphical ftp client

akonstam@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

On Wed, Nov 30, 2005 at 05:57:21PM -0500, Jim Cornette wrote:
akonstam@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

On Tue, Nov 29, 2005 at 10:28:46PM -0600, Steven Stern wrote:

rwhart@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
sorry for the repost, I didn't relealize the subject line was still blank when I
sent it!

Hi all,

Can one of you recommend the best graphical FTP client for FC4 that is available
as open source and is available as an rpm?
gftp

With  that program you get all the insecurity of ftp instead of sftp.
Is that not right?

If you are getting information that is not confidential, why worry if you are using sftp or ftp? If it is sniffed there is no loss.

Jim
Well first as a mea culpa gftp handles sftp .
Second, It is you passwd that you don't want sniffed so sftp is
important for security.

I usually use ftp on sites that do not require passwords. I did not see any security risk there with using ftp. I never thought about transferring information from one user account on a computer to another user account on another computer. Sftp would be safer in that situation. Well at least I learned something that I did not know before. For situations where security is a concern, gftp can do sftp, live and learn.

Jim

--
Don't change the reason, just change the excuses!
		-- Joe Cointment