Re: Problem with killing processes

James Wilkinson wrote:
LC wrote:

Try kill -9 pid

Sebastian Kösters wrote:

Dow not work too :(

On Unix-like systems, kill -9 will only "fail" if the process is in the
middle of a system call to the kernel.

Well, to be precise, the signal is held until the system call returns,
and then the process is killed. But if the system call does not return
(or hasn't yet returned), then the process will just sit there.

[snip]

To be more precise... the signal is delivered. What happens after that
depends on which signal it is, and whether it is caught, and whether
there are multiple threads in the program, and what the priority of the
process is. Delivery and use of signals is a complex issue, not easily
disposed of. However, it is beginning to look like he needs a reboot
at least, if not a BHR[1].

[1] BHR - Big Hairy Reset

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.