Re: Running a 64bit and 32bit fedora at the same time

I hope the following may help you

On your running x86_64 linux take a backup of /etc/fstab. Edit your
/etc/fstab and replace the label references to appropriate node
references. (Use /etc/mtab to find the nodes) Example

The original file is
-------------------------
LABEL=/                 /                       ext3    defaults        1 1
LABEL=/usr            /usr                      ext3   defaults         0 0
none                    /dev/pts                devpts  gid=5,mode=620  0 0
LABEL=/opt              /opt                    ext3    defaults        1 2
none                    /proc                   proc    defaults        0 0
none                    /dev/shm                tmpfs   defaults        0 0
/dev/sda2               swap                    swap    defaults        0 0
/dev/cdrom              /mnt/cdrom              udf,iso9660
noauto,owner,kudzu,ro 0 0

Modified file will be
---------------------------
/dev/hda1                 /                       ext3    defaults        1 1
/dev/hda2              /usr                      ext3   defaults         0 0
none                    /dev/pts                devpts  gid=5,mode=620  0 0
/dev/hda5              /opt                    ext3    defaults        1 2
none                    /proc                   proc    defaults        0 0
none                    /dev/shm                tmpfs   defaults        0 0
/dev/sda2               swap                    swap    defaults        0 0
/dev/cdrom              /mnt/cdrom              udf,iso9660
noauto,owner,kudzu,ro 0 0

Reboot the machine and boot it with FC3_i386 CD

during installation create a new partitions for (/ and /usr)

(You can still use the same swap, home [if a seperate partition] and
opt partitions if you don't have to use any binary from them)

select the partitions to be formatted using disk druid very carefully.
Don't format what is not created newly.

Proceed with the installation.

To fix the boot (If you face some problem)!! Boot the machine with the
last installed linux (FC3_i386) and edit the /boot/grub/grub.conf file
appropriately.

Please be careful when making new partitions and naming them. There is
a high risk of loosing data if something is done accidentally!!

Regards,
Sundar.