Re: ReiserFS & EXT2/3 issues

On Thu, Dec 01, 2005 at 08:38:36AM +0000, James Wilkinson wrote:
 > Mike McGrath wrote:
 > > I use reiserfs and love it.  I wish RedHat would be more open to using
 > > it, not even including it in the install seems a bit much to me.  Though
 > > I think you can install with reiserfs if you do a linux reiserfs while
 > > booting from the CD, I haven't tested it.
 >
 > The problem is "how many questions do you want there to be in the
 > install?"

There's a support cost to it too. ext[23] bugs usually
tend to get fixed quite quickly when they do turn out
to be real bugs, whilst the same isn't true for some of
the more exotic filesystems.

With so many different wierdo filesystems, each of them
more complex than the other, the only chance we have when
Fedora users file bugs involving them is to say
"go tell upstream".  Upstream's reaction varies from
"we'll fix it" to "not interested in vendor kernels" (despite
the fact that we don't patch their fs).

		Dave