Re: Tape drive

On Thu, 2005-12-01 at 00:10 -0600, Les Mikesell wrote:

> > > I would expect any SCSI drive to work. Choose your vendors and ask them:
> > > in this market they're well aware of Linux. Even Dell.
> > >

> > I heavily recommend LTO technology. LTO 100 would store 100Gb
> > uncompressed and amanda certainly works better if you use it without
> > hardware compression. LTO 200 is 200Gb uncompressed.
> >
> > You should also check out 'bacula' for backup as amanda is clearly not
> > usable for 'location without any real techies'
>
> Amanda is painless as far as making backups goes - all you
> normally have to do is change the tape sometime during
> the day and it will send email to remind you if you
> forget and dump to a holding disk if you still don't
> do it.  So, consider it if you can provide help if
> a restore is needed
----
I am not as eager to use amanda and painless in the same sentence as I
found it somewhat difficult to get it started. Once I understood how
amanda worked and got it rolling, it is incredible. It doesn't however
have any tool other than command line for restore which pretty much
means that all restores are done by technologically inclined users.

Also as supplied in rpm, I have not seen the ability for amanda to span
a backup across more than a single tape though I am told that the cvs
version can do so.
----
> - or you can use it for tapes that
> are held offsite and only used for disaster recovery
> and set up backuppc (http://backuppc.sourceforge.net/)
> for easy online access with disk based storage.  It
> uses compression and linking of duplicate copies to
> hold much more than you would expect.
----
Since the OP asked about tape devices and mentioned 'non technically
savvy users', I thought it more responsive to suggest something that had
those capabilities at its heart and think that bacula/bacula web/webmin
bacula restore offered more utility for the OP

Craig