Re: Making sense of OOM killer messages?

I agree with the BSD folks that there is no way to fairly decide which
process should be killed.  However I'd _much_ rather have a system come
back missing a process than a halted box.

The question though is how to diagnose the cause of the memory issue.

If OOM doesn't give any information about process state before it starts
killing then it's hard to track down the root cause.