Re: mounted multiple times

jvian10@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

On Wed, 2005-11-30 at 13:26 -0400, Trevor TeC Christian wrote:
On Wed, November 30, 2005 12:55 pm, Jack Tanner said:
> On an FC4 client, I'm mounting an smbfs filesystem over the network. In
> /etc/fstab, I have
>
> //server/share /mount/point smbfs
> credentials=/home/user/.smbcreds,noauto,user  0 0
>
> The user's .bash_profile contains the actual mount command, which goes off
> without a hitch. Consequently, the user can issue
>
> $ umount /mount/point
>
> when necessary.
>
> It's all well and good, until the user connects to the FC4 client twice,
> and
> runs two xterms which both source .bash_profile.
>
> Now the mount command has been issued twice, so here's what happens:

Should script such that the share isn't mounted unless it isn't already
mounted.

> $ umount /mount/point
> umount: it seems /mount/point is mounted multiple times
>
> Well, yes, it has been mounted multiple times; but how can the user
> unmount
> it now?

One should be able to use ps to find the PID of the mounts and kill them
directly i believe.

  ps ax | grep mount

then kill -9 the corresponding PID's

Mount does not leave an active process running.  Thus this would have no
affect.  Did you test your idea?

Hope this helps.

> --

*Trevor "TeC" Christian*
Cell #: (767) 225 4472
IM
   MSN: trevorc98@xxxxxxxxxxx / trevor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
   YM : trevorc01
   AIM: DoubleOTeC
   GoogleTalk: doubleOTeC@xxxxxxxxx
Home Page <http://trevor.bouyon.dalive.com//>
Curriculum Vitae <http://bouyon.dalive.com/cv/>
Dalive Market <http://www.dalivemarket.com/>

Question, does umount still unmount "one instance" of the mount? This is the behavior under Red Hat Enterprise 3 (2.4 kernel) which also doesn't complain. The application I QA hasn't managed to get confused enough under RHEL4 (we start supporting RHEL4 under our next release) to mount one of our mount points multiple times so I don't have a data point for RHEL4 (2.6 kernel).

Under RHEL3, I just keep issuing umounts for the mount point until I get rid of all of them. Would this work for your situation? Any idea when this "feature" got added to mount/umount?

Cheers,
Dave