Re: The plague has returned

From: "Michael A. Peters" <mpeters@xxxxxxx>

On Wed, 2005-11-30 at 18:14 +0200, Gilboa Davara wrote:
On Wed, 2005-11-30 at 15:11 +0000, Paul Smith wrote:
> [...]

It's time to block everything @uol.com.br.

no no - just blacklist

*.sspam@xxxxxxxxxx

IE in user_prefs (for spamassassin):

blacklist_from *.sspam@xxxxxxxxxx

That way - you can receive legitimate e-mail from user@xxxxxxxxxx - it's
only the automated responses from their spam challenge that gets
rejected.

If you are a private user running your own blocking the entire uol.com.br
is probably worthless. If you run an ISP then you must, perforce, forward
their denial of service attacks called Challenge/Response messages if you
are to be fully compliant with the RFCs. Some one of your customers may
need to contact some poor honest sucker at uol.com.br. So let them.

In my case, I don't have to. I have uol.com.br trapped to a ~/mail/uol_crap
mail file. I just checked it. (First time in quite awhile.) It contained
exactly one message, a spam. So I did not miss anything important at all.
The C/R's simply get tagged as spam here and I ignore them. I quit simply
ignoring them when I got over 6 C/R messages from UOL for each message to
this list - all from petsupermart or whatever it was. THAT earns an entry
in .procmailrc diverting the email to a "check it once in a great while"
repository.

{^_^}