Re: (no subject)

On Wed, 2005-11-30 at 17:13 +0000, Chris Norman wrote:
> Hi all,
> I would like to get a telnet server running on my machine. I already
> have SSh, I have installed telnet-server, and started xinetd. What else
> do I have to do?

I would uninstall telnet - it is horribly insecure.

As root, do:

chkconfig telnet on
service xinetd restart

The first one is either telnet or telnetd, I can't remember.  I would
not use telnet on a production system so I don't have it installed to
check.  Any protocol which passes passwords in plain text is a Bad Thing
(TM).  Anyway, chkconfig will configure /etc/xinetd.d/telnet correctly
and restart xinetd.

The second one is optional, as chkconfig is supposed to restart xinetd
whenever a managed service is activated.  However, I have seen that not
happen, so I usually manually restart xinetd.

Hope this is helpful.
Thomas