Re: Newbie

Michael A. Peters wrote:
On Wed, 2005-11-30 at 11:07 -0500, Lon Hohberger wrote:

On Wed, 2005-11-30 at 17:04 +0100, Guido Leisker wrote:

Solomon wrote:

Hi,
I have installed Fedora 4 on my desktop computer and the installation
went well.  I haven't set it up as a server, so now I can only
send/receive my pop email only on my desktop.  I want to be able to
send/receive on my laptop.  My question is how do I accomplish that?
Solomon

Thats not so easy,
look if IMAP is what you need.

Indeed.  Though, some ISPs do not support IMAP.

I'd ask your ISP if they support IMAP access.

I set up a used junk PC I bought real cheap as my own imap server.
It uses fetchmail to pop my pop accounts - and procmail to filter into
folders. In addition to my mail clients, I also use squirrelmail to read
(though not send).

That way I don't need to use imap facilities of my ISP, my accounts are
all pop.

I do use my ISP's smtp server though.

I have tried squirrelmail too. But i found no way to tell the programm to auth at the smtp-server of my provider!

You use you own Server? Thats a bit tricky i think, you need own dns entries and so on. Thats all a bit to much for newbies (like newbie and me)