Re: ID Numbering in Group and Passwd

Dave Brown wrote:
I have had a look at the RFE you filed and to be honest i disagree with the way you have asked for it to be fixed. By selecting the GIDs in decending order from 60,000 down and the uid ascending from 500 there still exists the possibility for these 2 numbers to collide if you have more than 59500 users / groups. Granted this is a large number but for big institutions / companies this isnt unreasonable. I personally have worked with two installations that this numbering scheme would have caused problems.

I believe that the underlying code should be changed so that when adding a user the lowest available number which is not currently used by either a group or user should be the one selected. That way you can have as many users as you want (up to 2^32 of course :o) without running into any clashes. I will add a note to your RFE explaining my thoughts and see what RedHat reckon. Thanks for your input.

Cheers
Dave

On 26/11/05, *Robin Laing * <Robin.Laing@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:Robin.Laing@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    Kanwar Ranbir Sandhu wrote:
     > On Thu, 2005-24-11 at 09:31 +0000, Dave Brown wrote:
     >
     >>Robin / Others - what do you think? Depending on the general
    consensus
     >>I'll probably submit a feature enhancement request.
     >

     > If you do enter a RFE, can you send a reply to this thread with
    bugzilla
     > #?  I'd like to watch it since I've recently run into this problem -
     > it's a major pain in the ass.
     >
     > Regards,
     >
     > Ranbir

    I entered an RFE this afternoon.
    Bug 174205

    Robin.

Some times I am not that good at explaining things.

I have added to the RFE taking your comments into account as you will see. I am reposting some of my comments here for the list.

I used 60,00 as an arbitrary number. If Fedora can work with 2^32 GID's then change 60,000 to 2^32 and work from there. It isn't a big deal.

The idea is to search from high to low for GID's and low to high for UID/GID combos.

This also minimizes any holes in the UID/GID mix unless users are deleted.

Thanks for the suggestion.