Re: Command ($ or #) line; smart completion?

On Mon, Nov 28, 2005 at 04:28:38PM -0500, Nat Gross wrote:
> > Hit <tab> to have the command line auto-filled, or just use a wildcard
> > in the command if you don't need to see it first.
> Hey, this thing works even without the completion pkg installed. What gives?

Completion is a basic, built-in ability. The bash-completion package just
adds a bunch of fancy features, generally specific to the various commands.

For example, with it installed, you can type "ssh host<tab>" and it'll
complete "ssh hostname", providing hostname is in your ~/.ssh/known_hosts.
Or, if you use mplayer, it'll only show lists of files it thinks mplayer
knows how to play. (This last is annoying if you have a weirdly named file,
or a filetype bash_completion doesn't know about.)

> One more thing. How do I get the freakin DEL key to delete the char
> under the cursor and the backspace key to the left of the cursor, in
> Gnome? (Kde does it but I use gnome most of the time.)

Oh, this one is a nightmare I'm not even going to touch. :)

--
Matthew Miller           mattdm@xxxxxxxxxx          <http://mattdm.org/>