Resolved XP accessing ntfs partion in samba server

A week ago I encountered a problem in accessing ntfs partition in samba server from remote XP, after quite some searching with google, finally resolved access denial by adding a line in /etc/fstab;
   /dev/hdb5      /mnt/ntfs   ntfs   defaults,ro,umask=000  0 0

Before I added the line in fstab, the scenario is I can access samba server ntfs partition locally without problem, but when a remote XP tried to access ntfs partition in samba server got denied. ls -l /mnt I foune that ;

      drwxr-xr-x   fat32
dr-x------ ntfs ( After added a line in fstab as above, it reads dr-xr-xr-x)

It is obvious that group and other users just don't have any file permission at all. I tried chmod a+r /mnt/ntfs but I got "Read-only file system" and can't alter the file permission, seems the only way to make this ntfs partition in samba server open to remote XP for access is adding a line in fstab as above, is there any other way in command line I can use to change the file permission of that ntfs partition? I tried 2 and none of them succeed;
umask 0000
ln -s /mnt/ntfs /mnt/test (And I added the /mnt/test into the smb.conf, restarted the service smb, but still got access denial).