Re: Please suggest a fedora core 4 compatible wireless card

Matt Morgan wrote:
On 11/25/05, Douglas Phillipson <dougp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

What wireless cards work with FC4 out of the box?  I'd rather not have
to install any drivers.  Please use common names, not chipsets in

Common names are not that helpful because vendors often swich chipset (and so driver) without changing the model name. Probably, the revision changes so revision C might work, D not.

I got caught on that particular problem with an SMC card: the original used a prism54 chipset that works (with add-on firmware), the next revision didn't.

Thank you, I really appreciate your help

I've had good success with

Cisco Aironet 340 and 350
SMC2632W V.2
Intel Centrino, AKA Pro/Wireless 2100 and 2200

But there are lots of others, so wait on everyone else's responses ...

You should also check the list archive, since this issue comes up a
lot. The easiest one to use is at

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=fedora-list&r=1&w=2

In Fedora, I believe the Centrino devices require firmware that's not part of the distro.

My laptop has an Atheros-based wireless card that does "just work" in Ubuntu and SuSE, but it looks like being a major hassle in FC5.

I have Wavelan and Orinoco 11b cards that do just work in fc3, but in fc5beta1test I can't use WEP.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait