From: fedora-list-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:fedora-list-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx]
On Behalf Of Jay Lee
Sent: Wednesday, November 23, 2005 10:26 AM
To: fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Announcing Fedora Core 5 Test1

Warren Togami said:
> * NX (No Execute) capable processors (all AMD64 and 2nd and later
> steppings of EM64T) installing the i386 arch of FC5test1 may experience
> an inability to boot the SMP kernel after install.  Please try the
> Uniprocessor kernel or kernel parameter "mem=nopentium" in order to boot
> for now.

Both Intel and AMD have released 32-bit only chips with NX support.  In
fact, Intel adding NX to their instruction set months before EM64T so
there may be quite a few boxes out there that don't boot at all unless the
bug only shows up on x86-64 capable boxes?

Jay
--
Jay Lee
Network / Systems Administrator