Re: Is it safe to open ssh port to world with only key based authentication?

Mike Klinke wrote:
On Wednesday 23 November 2005 02:00, Vijay Gill wrote:

Recently I started using key based authentication and disabled
passwords in /etc/ssh/sshd_conf My question is, is it safe to
open the port 22 in my iptables firewall script?

There's no black and white answer to that. On a scale of 1 to 10 you might want to assign numbers as follows:

1 = unsafe
3 = password authentication enabled
6 = key based authentication only
7 = allowing only certain IP address to access
10 = no access allowed to anyone

Some people are perfectly comfortable using strong passwords and will consider anything over a '2' to be "safe". Others would only consider "safe" to be something at '7' or better and I'm certain you'll hear that '10' is the only sure defense.
Regards, Mike Klinke

I use a different port number (like 12322) and change it frequently. Makes it a little harder for the port scanners to find you.

Regards,

John