Re: lame yum grip

On Sun, 2005-11-20 at 19:38 -0500, THUFIR HAWAT wrote:

> Error Downloading Packages:
>   lame - 3.96.1-0.lvn.1.4.i386: failure:
> lame-3.96.1-0.lvn.1.4.i386.rpm from livna: [Errno 256] No more mirrors
> to try.
> [root@localhost ~]#
> [root@localhost ~]# date
> Sun Nov 20 19:33:25 EST 2005
> [root@localhost ~]#

Sorry to hear that - hopefully the issue will be resolved.

> I'm tring to encode from CD directly to "mp3", as in Lame Ain't MP3
> (or whatever the TLA is) but am having trouble with yum.  Do I have to
> do this manually with rpm's, or even source?  How do others do this?

I got my lame from rpm.livna.org.
It looks like just a temporary problem.

> Also, in terms of grip, I'm not seeing an encode option.  That is, if
> I "just rip" to flac, how does grip encode that to mp3?

I haven't used grip in a LONG time. I remember though there use to be
ability to set that in the preferences (set what your encoder is)

What I currently do - I use cdparanoia to rip to wav.
I then create a : deliminated text file that has the meta data I want -
and I run a shell script that takes the wav file and creates both flac
and mp3 files that are tagged.

Unfortunately the box I do that on is currently down, so my "home brew"
shell scripts are unavailable - but I've generally found that the CDDB
us unreliable for getting the tags right (especially if non US English
characters are needed - such as Spanish or German songs, such as the ü
in Für Elise - but also for other things) so I prefer to manually tag,
as time consuming as it is. Then if it's wrong, I blame me :D