Re: Starting a VPN connection

Greetings Paul,

Well am not an expert in VPN connections so this might be something stupid
but anyway here it goes .

Paul Smith wrote:
On 11/20/05, Dotan Cohen <dotancohen@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I do not know where from you can get the keys, but it is safe to
install them without keys.

I installed without the keys. No biggie.

I can't figure out how to get it to authorize with MS-CHAP. I have
checked "Require Microsoft point-to-point Encryption" under the
encryption menu. This is the output:

Using interface ppp1pptpconfig: monitoring interface ppp1
Connect: ppp1 <--> /dev/pts/2
Warning - secret file /etc/ppp/pap-secrets has world and/or group access
Warning - secret file /etc/ppp/pap-secrets has world and/or group access

First of all here we have a permissions problem .  I guess a login as root
and then "chmod 700 /etc/ppp/pap-secrets" could resolve the problem .

PAP authentication succeeded

Well the above line says PAP ( Password Authentication Protocol ) succeded

How do we know that the VPN Server actually offers CHAP Authentication
and not just PAP Authentication since the two of them are entirely different
things.

I'm sorry to ask for the hand-holding. There just doesn't seem to be
any information on this available. When I get this working, I'll piece
together a howto on the subject. In the meantime, how do I get it to

authenticate with MS-CRAP?

I have no knowledge of MS-CRAP ????? What's it's meaning ???
Does it  actually mean MS- CHAP as of ( MS - Chalenge Host Authentication
Protocol )

Btw if there is a CHAP Authentication to be performed is there
any  /etc/ppp/chap-secrets file available ???

Kind Regards,
   Kostas