problem with dd and usb drive

I have a problem, i have a fat32 usb drive, which im using to back up a dns server.

i first started to use cp -r * /mnt/usbdrive

then i stopped, and wanted to do it a better way

so i did a dd if=/dev/hda1 of=/dev/sda1 bs=1024k

it finishes too quickly and says 47+1 in    47+1 out

and now when i ls the /mnt/usbdrive

I get all sorts of garbage, lots of ?s and such. and numbers. when i try to delete it, it says its a read only drive.

also to note, that at first, fdisk said there was one partition as fat32. nwo there are several and i have no idea how they got there.

the last thing is this - i can now not umount the /dev/sda1 it says the device is busy, eject doesnt work either. I turned it off, and i still cant unmount it, what should I do? i really dont want to reboot it, it is our dns server. so?

thanks
martin