Re: Advice sought on machine web-server safe

Timothy Murphy wrote:
STYMA, ROBERT E (ROBERT) wrote:

If your home network connection has a dsl/cable router
with NAT attached to it, things can get a lot simpler.
You can tell the router to forward port 80 to your
machine running apache and that will be the only resource
visible from the outside.  NAT (Network Address Translation)
can be a very effective firewall.

Thanks for your response.
I don't have a router, as I understand that term.
I have an ADSL modem, attached by Ethernet to my computer.

I assume I am using NAT,
since I have a number of other computers (Linux and Windows)
attached to the above machine,
and they access the outside world through email and the web.

Even if you don't intend to use NAT, I recommend you get
a router with a firewall in it. I have only one computer
connected to a DSL modem, but I put a router between just
to get the firewall.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.