Re: FC4 - Cannot resolve hosts, but nslookup works

On Tuesday 15 November 2005 11:35 am, STYMA, ROBERT E (ROBERT) wrote:
> > Hi,
> > The following problem is occuring on my machine. ping does not work,
> > but nslookup does. I get IP (and DNS server IPs for resolve.conf) from
> > my ISP's DHCP server.
I may be missing something in the thread here, ping does not work?
Can I see an example?  Is it possible  that the host that you are trying to
ping is not answering?

Here is an example where the host does not respond.

ping www.usmc.mil
PING www.usmc.mil (192.156.19.111) 56(84) bytes of data.
(^c)
--- www.usmc.mil ping statistics ---
5 packets transmitted, 0 received, 100% packet loss, time 4014ms

I'm trying to better understand your goal.  Testing dns resolution is better
done via nslookup, dig, or host commands.