Re: help system failure in eclipse

* Herbert Carl Meyer <hcmeyer@xxxxxxxxx> [2005-11-08 16:55]:

I installed the new eclipse rpm over the weekend, and I can no longer
use the eclipse help system. Tables of contents will display on an
internal help window, but attempting to display any help item produces:

Unhandled event loop exception
Reason:
org/apache/catalina/Logger

I did a yum update over the weekend as well. My eclipse setup is screwed up, tool. I had a perl editor installed, but it is now gone and other screens don't function.

I think I'll just get the source and build eclipse myself like I've done on other systems. Building from source seems like the only safe option for critical software. (In my case, that means perl, apache, and mod_perl.)

A big advantage if you build from source means is that you understand the system better and can better trouble shoot. rpms tend to be a black box with the documentation written by an intermediary rather than the developers.

If rpms were reliable, they'd be great. When they don't work as anticipated, I feel lost because I don't know where to start.

Also, the latest kernel, 2.6.14-1.1637_FC4, locked up my system (IBM Thinkpad T41) when I re-booted. Now I know why they call it a "kernel panic" -- with a new kernel, you panic. :-)

Take care,

Kurt