Re: Setup Internal caching DNS Server

Fernando Gozalo wrote:
On Tue, 2005-11-08 at 16:07 -0500, Ki Song wrote:

WHere can I get information on how to setup an internal caching DNS? Is
there a HOWTO or a tutorial on how to do this?

All I remember having to do is install BIND (and any dependencies it
asked for), and "caching-nameserver".

I have these packages installed:

bind-chroot-9.3.1-14_FC4
bind-libs-9.3.1-14_FC4
bind-9.3.1-14_FC4
bind-utils-9.3.1-14_FC4
caching-nameserver-7.3-3

With this you have a working cahe nameserver. No need more config.

But I think I improve the caching-nameserver when I edit
/var/named/chroot/etc/named.conf and add in the options section:

        forward only;
        forwarders {
                IP.of.my.first.real.nameserver;
                IP.of.my.second.real.nameserver;
        };

It depends on how good/reliable these nameservers are. Many ISP DNS servers have problems from time to time, and by forwarding all requests to them, you'd inherit those problems yourself. My preference would normally be to let the caching nameserver handle everything itself, so that if there was a problem, it could be isolated to my own nameserver and hence probably be easier to diagnose and fix.

Paul.