Re: Yum disaster! DELETED mysql!

On Mon, 2005-11-07 at 14:58 -0500, Nat Gross wrote:
> So, why didn't yum do it until now? I have done '#yum -y -update'
> hundreds of times on this system. I didn't change anything on mysql.
> um..For some silly reason I have Amarok on this machine. Since the
> latest version of Amarok uses mysql (so I read) could it be that
> Amarok told yum to do it.

Very possibly.  The thing is, if Amarok uses MySQL, I am betting big
that according to the FC distro comps.xml file, Amarok uses MySQL 3.x.
When you updated, yum just did its best to get you up to date according
the comps.xml file.

> And as far as rtfm, yes, but yum should warn before doing a mass
> deletion like that. The -y switch is for updates, not deletions!

No - the -y arg says "always answer yes."  So when it got to the point
at which it wanted to effectively downgrade you, you told it "yes."

I'm not bashing you.  I could write a book about all the number of times
I've shot myself in the foot.  It's just your turn.  :-)

TC