Re: Why Fedora ?

Vikram Goyal wrote:

<huge snip, for brevity; sorry>

Your points (that I snipped out) are all valid, I'm coming in from a different point of view. I've been programming in various environments for longer than I care to reveal ;) and I've found that while Fedora Core isn't something I'd recommend for a desktop-type system to anybody but another hacker like myself, I also see the strengths that it has for production use- i.e. dns server, mail server (with anti-spam and anti-virus), a router, or a firewall. You can also set it up for a "typical" home user (email, web browsing, CD/DVD playing/burning/producing, etc) and manage it remotely. It all depends on what you want to use it for.

Of course one can use other desktops does not means one wants to,
especially when one has got used to it. You will know what I mean over
an extended period of time, when you go in cycle of unlearn and relearn
to do the same mundane desktop chores which you had mastered or got used
to in previous releases. And I tell you , it sucks one of interest,
energy and fills one with frustration.
My Rs0.002...

Yeah, I used to get ticked off at MS-DOS, and then Windows, whenever a new release would come out- they'd change and rearrange everything. Probably why I stuck with Windowmaker for so long; its' UI remained mostly unchanged for quite some time. I could tinker with it, dress it up to look nice, add some desktop widgets to it, and I was a happy camper; I could get on with my work. The Fedora software, as you've pointed out, tends to get changed around. Part of the price you pay on this distro- it keeps changing, and you can spend time maintaining it (like Windows, but without the sense of futility). I like to explore new ways of doing things; this is why I choose to use Fedora.

"The two most common things in the	| Bill Perkins
 universe are Hydrogen and Stupidity."	| perk@xxxxxxx
					| programmer-at-large
		F. Zappa		| ALL assembly languages done here.