Re: Problems with automounting removable media

On Wed, 2005-11-02 at 12:19 +0200, Rasmus Back wrote:
> Hi.
>
> In FC3 plugging in a USB thumbdrive worked automagically, the voulme
> would just show up on my desktop. I did a clean install of FC4 and now
> the same thumbdrive doesn't show up at all. I started hald in verbose
> mode, see attached log file for details. Apparently the thumbdrive is
> recognized and attached to /dev/sdc, but the final step of mounting it
> is not performed. I have checked the option in gnome-volume-manager to
> automatically mount removable media.
>
> Are my problems related to the "no runnable
> /etc/hotplug/*_device.agent is installed" messages? Hotplug owns
> /etc/hotplug and I can't think of any rpms that could be missing.
> Googling around there seems to be lots of people with related
> problems, but those problems are usually caused by the kernel not
> recognizing the drive at all. I can manually mount the thumbdrive, but
> then the contents are owned by root and it's a hassle to copy stuff
> over. I have a LaCie d2 that has the same problems (regardless of if I
> use USB of firewire).
>
> Thanks,
> Rasmus

We had a thread on this last week.....

It sounds like a line is being added to /etc/fstab to represent your
thumbdrive?  That is what udev/hald/hotplug are responsible for.....  If
there is no line being added to /etc/fstab then we would troubleshoot
there....

Actually mounting it is a different set of programs.  Are you GUI?  Are
you running Gnome or KDE?  The GUI environments have X clients that are
monitoring the devices being added and "may" perform the mount.  In
Gnome this is controlled in Desktop-Preferences-Removable Drives and
Media.  I do not know where it is in KDE (and is perhaps more
problematic) and that is part of what last week's thread was talking
about....

HTH,

--Rob