auto umount usb devices?

Hi,

how do I configure gnome-volume-manager to auto-umount USB devices when they're
unplugged?

I understand that pulling ext2 file systems without umounting is a bad
idea, but it should be feasible with ext3 and vfat file system that
have been mounted synchronously.

I don't really mind this myself, but I have a hard time explaining my
parents the fine points of (dis)mounting filesystems. I believe
Windows XP handles unplug events automatically.

(posted through gmane, please CC replies)