Re: no certificates!

On 01/11/05, kwhiskers <kwhiskers@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 01/11/05, Andy Green < andy@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
kwhiskers wrote:
> I am trying to digitally sign a document in open office writer 2.0, but
> no certificates are listed. I have pkcs12 (p12) certificates in firefox,
> mozilla and konqueror, but not in open office.
>
> How do I import the certificates?

Whiskers, I don't know the answer, but when I Googled for it yesterday
on your other mail I became intrigued myself and am interested in it :-)
The OO help was no use and the UI does not allow cert import.  Do you
use KDE as I do?  Possibly there is a special Gnome place for certs that
OO assumes you use?

-Andy

Yes, I use KDE.

I checked out the oooforum.org threads on the problem and they claim they have solved it. They say to install the certificate into mozilla, firefox and thunderbird (if installed), and better yet, to install in only one of these and make sympolic links to the others, so as not to have unsyncronized certificate caches. I have done this. I also installed the certificate into konqueror without problem.

However, it is not visible in openoffice 2.0.

Perhaps you're onto something, about gnome putting them somewhere else. I had unconsciously been heading in that direction myself without realizing it, having even put my certificate into /etc/pki/certificatesorsomethingdirectory, thinking that this pki has something to do with certificates, for rpm and yum, I presume, but all to no avail.

I will boot into gnome when I get home and see if I can find something.

Any ideas?

I thought poking around in Gnome might provide a clue. It didn't. The only application that seemed even remotely to have a place for certificates was the keyring manager (that always crashes in kde and is, hence, kind of a mystery to me).

It doesn't crash in gnome, starts up with a mysterious entry called session, and one is told that it is somehow nonstandard and that is all. There is no import facility for certificates or for signatures here.

Then I thought, perhaps look at evolution... Sure enough, evolution will import both gnupg signatures and so-called netscape certificates, ie, pkcs12 files. Worked like a charm, and full of renewed optimism, ran openoffice writer 2.0, and...

Nothing.

Same as before.