Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2005 07:29:48 -0500
From: Nathaniel Stickney <firewielder@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: X Server Configuration?
To: fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx

Yesterday afternoon I installed Fedora Core 4 on my main desktop, and as far
as I can tell, everything is working correctly, but I cannot get any GUI
sessions started, and I get a message "I cannot start the X server (your
graphical interface). It is likely that it is not set up correctly. Would
you like to view the X server output to diagnose the problem?" when I
reboot; choosing <Yes> leads to a text login prompt; <No> does the same. I
have not used Linux in a few years (due to being on a restrictive DoD
network), but the Suse 9.0 that was on my computer before and a Knoppix disk
both worked fine with my hardware -- relevant parts listed below.

ABIT NF7-S v2.0 motherboard, bios 27
3x 512MB Corsair PC3200 ram
ATI Radeon 9800XT video card
Western Digital WD740GB and WD2500JB hard drives

Any ideas would be tremendously appreciated!

--
-Nathaniel H. Stickney

Amendment II:
A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state,
the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

------------------------------

Message: 7
> Yesterday afternoon I installed Fedora Core 4 on my main desktop, and as
> far as I can tell, everything is working correctly, but I cannot get any
> GUI sessions started, and I get a message "I cannot start the X server
> (your graphical interface). It is likely that it is not set up
> correctly. Would you like to view the X server output to diagnose the
> problem?" when I reboot; choosing <Yes> leads to a text login prompt;

less /var/log/Xorg.0.log

go to the end and look for the earliest (EE) errors for clues.

-Andy