Re: Sound lost on FC#

On Sun, 2005-10-30 at 11:45 -0600, Jeff Vian wrote:
> On Sun, 2005-10-30 at 12:09 -0500, taharka wrote:
> > Tim wrote:

> > >Doesn't happen to me.  Maybe you should provide some more details and
> > >someone can resolve that issue for you.
> > >

> > Well, thanks for the offer but I doubt it :-( The first reported
> > incident, is the posting below;
> >
> > https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/2005-May/msg04057.html
> >
> > kernel-2.6.11-1.27_FC3 destroyed my sound configuration.
> >
> >     * From: "Erik P. Olsen" <erik epo dk>
> >     * To: Fedora Mailing List <fedora-list redhat com>
> >     * Subject: kernel-2.6.11-1.27_FC3 destroyed my sound configuration.
> >     * Date: Fri, 27 May 2005 23:52:07 +0200
> >
> > I upgraded my kernel to the subject version on May 24. In that very
> > moment all sound stopped on my system (only the hiss from the fans are
> > still there). I can see that modprobe.conf was also changed at that
> > time. I have restored the previous modprobe.conf but that only allowed
> > alsamixer to work, still no sound so apparently more damage was done.
> >
> > I assume I have to reinstall/reconfigure alsa, but why did it happen and
> > how can I prevent this from happening next time I upgrade the kernel?
> >
> > --
> > Regards,
> > Erik P. Olsen
> >
> > Note, that there was no response to this guy's post :-( Now, the very
> > same thing happened to me. I was fortunate enough to have a backup of
> > /etc/modprobe.conf on a SCO Open Server box attached to my LAN.
> > Overwriting the hammered modprobe.conf with the backup copy worked for
> > me. It's a good thing I had that backup because, I had pushed out that
> > kernel update to ten clients with identical systems & their
> > modprobe.conf file was hammered likewise :-(
> >
> > taharka
> >
> > Lexington, Kentucky U.S.A.
> >

> Well, with the plethora of messages in the archive, if that is the only
> one you find where modprobe.conf was corrupted then it does not seem
> very prevalent an issue.
>
> Personally I have never had that issue on any system I manage.
>
> I understand your concern and am glad you had the backup, but what is
> unique about your systems that made it happen to you when very few
> others are reporting this problem?
> Is someone interrupting the update before it completes the configuration
> step?  Is there something else that interferes? such as maybe the update
> running and backups starting at the same time, etc.?
>
> Kernel updates seem to take a long time to finish the update.  At times
> I have felt they were hung and have been tempted to kill the power since
> the system was inaccessible at the time, ( although I never
> have :-) ) .... but after waiting a long enough time they have always
> finished for me.

I have had this problem as well, mainly with onboard intel sound chips.
I have not really looked into the problem yet because they are on
workstations here that don't really need sound. They probably changed
the name of a sound driver or they have a new driver that replaced the
old default that doesn't work right. They did this with some video and
scsi drivers and I suspect sound and sata drivers as well.

In any case .. I know other people that read this list have had this
problem with their sound as well .. maybe it would help if someone
started a new thread and actually posted hardware details :) and what
driver was being used ( before and after would be great ) ...