Re: Smartd message: What does it mean?

On Sat, 2005-10-29 at 04:26 +0200, Danny Terweij - Net Tuning | Net
wrote:
> Hi
>
> I have 2 machines with such messages  and hdd's just running fine for 2+
> years. If ext2/3 fs is not marking such sectors as "bad, i dont use it
> anymore" then its about time that such things are going to be developed
> right? I do not want to replace a HDD if just 1 sector is marked bad at
> smartd. The smartd message is only showing up after a reboot overhere.

----
don't know how accessible it is to unmount (you may need to boot CD in
'linux rescue' mode because you can't do this on a mounted hd) but

e2fsck -c /dev/hdx#

option can locate the bad blocks for you (obviously substitute for x#
appropriately).

Generally, when I get a hard drive with some bad blocks, it seems to
indicate that things are going downhill and the drive isn't trustworthy
and given the price of hard drives, it's almost always easier/less
painful to copy it, replace it and the bonus is, you get high tech
paperweight.

Craig

believed to be clean.