rsync dies, need another approach

I'm trying to copy a large filesystem (around 10M inodes) from on FC4 computer to another. I need to preserve the symlinks, to minimize storage requirements.

The obvious choice is to use rsync -a, but it dies on me (out of memory I think - I have 256 MB on the source computer, and rsync uses 100 bytes / file, so 100b x 10M = 1G). Plan B is to actually move the hard drive from one computer to the other, and then use cp -al, but I'd rather not do that, because the computers aren't easily accessible.

Can anyone suggest a way to copy a large directory structure, while preserving symlinks and keeping memory requirements low?

- Mike