Re: Replacing old hard disk with a new one

Paul Smith wrote:
On 10/26/05, yonas abraham <yonas@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I have three hard disks in my computer: hda (MS Windows), hdb
(Mandriva) and hdc (FC4), and I am wanting to replace hda with a new
and empty hard disk. Grub is my boot loader and it was installed on
hdc (FC4). Is it likely that I will have problem with booting after I
do the mentioned hard disk replacement?

I think you need FC4 installation CD one or DVD. once you replace your
hard drive (hda) and boot from FC4 CD1 and go to rescue mode. and do a
chroot and install grub to MBR or hda. If you plan to reinstall windows
on the hda, first do so, as it will remove grub out of MBR.

Could you please tell me how to install grub to MBR?

When you do the install, it asks you where you want it put.
If you answer /dev/hda then it goes into the MBR, if you answer
/dev/hda1, then it goes into the BR of the first partition on
/dev/hda.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.