RE: Backup solutions?

--On Wednesday, October 26, 2005 1:00 PM -0700 "Daniel B. Thurman" <dant@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

GAH:  Disregard my reponse regarding using dump
and restore.  I found a link stating that use of
these programs are not recommended per response
from Linus Torvalds himself.

Here is the reference:
http://www.europe.redhat.com/documentation/rhl9/rhl-sap-en-9/s1-disaster-
rhlspec.php3

Linked from dump's home page <http://dump.sourceforge.net/>, the dump (not) deprecated FAQ:

<http://dump.sourceforge.net/isdumpdeprecated.html>

Any problem with dump is also a problem with all other backup schemes. Even if you choose to use another solution, you should read this FAQ to see what issues you might encounter, as much of it is about generic stuff not specific to dump.