Re: nvidia or ati ?

Bruno Wolff III wrote:
On Sun, Oct 23, 2005 at 17:29:23 +0100,
  Richard Gelling <uselinux34@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Sun, 2005-10-23 at 11:09 -0500, Bruno Wolff III wrote:

On Tue, Oct 04, 2005 at 16:29:39 +0200,
 Rakotomandimby Mihamina <mihamina.rakotomandimby@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi,
I am going ti buy a brand new computer, and would like to know if it is
better either to have a nVidia or an ATI graphic card.

If you were think of getting a less expensive card, the ATI 9200 will work
with free drivers. There is a project to have free drivers for later ATI
cards, but you should go looking for the current status of that project
to make sure it is far enough along for you before committing to using a
ATI model.

I have found the Nvidia 3D drivers easier to install

The free ATI drivers come as part of the xorg package. You don't have to do
anything to install them.

Does the xorg driver provide 3d in the newest ATI cards?

I went through video card hell on a new computer with ATI trying to use the ATI binary drivers as well. Never did see 3d on the card.

Installed FC4 on two computers (desktop and laptop) a few weeks ago. Worked out of the box.

Installed the nVidia binaries from livna and all is great. Of course I could tweak some and maybe get things better but that takes time which is harder to find.

I dumped ATI for nVidia. A friend of mine just did the same in the Windows world.

I won't even consider ATI any more.

--
Robin Laing
Instrumentation Technologist   Voice: 1.403.544.4762